Friday 15 November 2013

A collection of things (risk, leadership, Deming, multitasking)

Again based on some work posts, a collection of bits and pieces

1) Risk

I was just checking I was using the right language when I talked about risk strategies when I came across this article

The Six Ways of Dealing With Risk

I like the fact that they make the "Ignore" option visible Wink

There is another article referred to, which in turn references a book (in German) - and as part of that they say

Note that avoiding and reducing are aimed at the causes of risks (Ursachenbezogen), while reducing, limiting, insuring and retaining are aimed at the effects of risks (Wirkungsbezogen). The two latter are seen as passive risk management (Passiv), while the three former are seen as active risk management (Aktiv).
It's kind of commonsense, but still a nice reminder to see in writing Angel

2) Management is not Leadership

As this is a blog I should probably be preparing some well considered words of wisdom. But instead I am just going to share someone else's

a recent article from HBR: Management Is (Still) Not Leadership

3) Deming's 14 points

There had been a series of  "employee engagement" meetings, and I was in a reflective mood when I came across this blog post....

Deming's 14 points

and it seems to me that a number of these contribute significantly to employee engagement. Where they don't (e.g. End lowest tender contracts), do they still have a lesson for us ?

4) the impact of multitasking

It was interesting to come across the following piece on the impact of multitasking because basically it means that the more small projects any one Project Manager has, the less effectively they are able to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment